loader image

Nairn County 4 – 0 Locos

Breedon Highland League

Locos fell to defeat at Station Park as they once again ended the game with 10 men. That second yellow card for Paul Coutts came as the midfielder conceded a penalty – the second of the game – that allowed Nairn County to take a 2-0 lead, effectively killing the game with 24 minutes remaining. Two goals in the last five minutes sealed a miserable afternoon for the Railwaymen.

In brilliant sunshine, it was Locos who had the better of the opening exchanges. County keeper MacLean was twice called into action early on to keep out efforts from Myles Gaffney. County settled though, and a shot across Zack Ellis from Ciaran Young came back of the post. The game continued to entertain with little further goal chances until Nairn went ahead 10 minutes from the break. Glen Donald threw himself in front of Angus Dey’s powerful drive but the ball struck his arm and the referee had no option but to point to the spot. Conor Gethins penalty kick was saved by Zack Ellis but the veteran striker was able to head home the rebound.

Ellis saved well from Gethins early in the second half before a Mark Souter shot from the edge of the box was deflected narrowly wide. Andy Low made several substitutions in an attempt to get back into the game but the hosts were largely keeping Locos at bay. When the second goal of the game did come, it went the way of County. A free kick into the box struck the arm of Coutts, who appeared to have been pushed. The referee wasn’t interested in Locos protests though, and showed a second yellow card to the midfielder before Gethins slotted the spot kick past Ellis.

Locos haven’t felt they’ve had the rub of the green much this season and they seemed deflated after that second goal. The closest they came to testing MacLean was a Jonny Smith free kick that the keeper was able to field comfortably. Nairn meanwhile were looking to press home their numerical advantage. Ben Kelly fired narrowly over the crossbar but the third goal came five minutes from time. Dey’s shot from the corner of the penalty area deflected off the boot of Donald and looped over Ellis into the net. The final goal saw Andrew MacLeod finish smartly following a good Nairn move.

Locos would have seen this game as an opportunity having shown improvement in recent games, but can have few complaints about the outcome. Andy Low will be disappointed with how little threat his charges could muster having fallen behind. The second goal secured the points for County, and Locos were certainly unhappy about the award of the penalty and subsequent red card, adamant that Courts had been fouled.

Locos travel away from home for the fifth consecutive match next week to face Clachnacuddin in the Scottish Cup.

Nairn County FC

1Dylan MacLean
2Callum MacLean
3Steven Mackay
4Ross Tokely
5Fraser Dingwall
6Wayne MacKintosh 18
7Ciaran Young 12
8Angus Dey 85'
9Conor Gethins 15 35', 66'
10Andrew MacLeod 87'
11George Robeston 14
12Aaron Nicolson 7
14Ben Kelly 11
15Scott Davidson 9
16Tyler Eadie
17Sam Gordon
18Alasdair Gillies 6
19Owen MacDonald
20Lewis Munro
21Jamie Carnihan

Inverurie Loco Works

1Zack Ellis
2Jamie Michie 13
3Liam Morrison 16
4Greg Mitchell
5Mark Souter
6Glen Donald
7Nathan Meres
8Paul Coutts 66'
9Myles Gaffney 15
10Callum Duncan 14
11Sam Robertson 17
13Dem Yunus 2
14Cole Anderson 10
15Jonny Smith 9
16Calum Dingwall 3
17Lloyd Robertson 11
18Josh Buchan
19Blair Smith
22Logan Johnstone
23John Farquhar