loader image

Locos 3 – 1 Turriff United

Breedon Highland League

Locos attacking quality in the second half proved decisive in securing a hard fought victory from this tight game. Not until Nathan Meres late goal did the home supporters feel comfortable as Turriff pushed the Railwaymen all the way and will feel they could have got something from the game.

The game started frenetically, with both teams looking to attack quickly but neither managed to create any clear chances in the opening exchanges. The efforts that did come were predominantly from outside the box with Andy Reid and David Dey saving comfortably from Ewan Clark and Meres respectively. In the 19th minute, Clark did manage to find a bit of space in the penalty area and looked destined to score only to be thwarted by a superb David Wilson tackle. Jack McKenzie then fired wide before Keir Smith forced Reid into action from distance.

United would soon regret not taking one of those chances as Locos took the lead a couple of minutes later. After a Meres shot had been well blocked, the resulting corner was met first time by Jonny Smith who fired low past Dey. Reid then saved from Reece McKeown but was beaten by the same player shortly after the half hour. McKeown found space to receive a cut back just inside the area and finished well. McKeown had an opportunity to double his tally shortly before half time, lifting his shot over Reid and the crossbar with Locos looking for an offside flag.

There was a determined look about Locos at the start of the second half. A fine Calum Dingwall pass released Sam Robertson whose shot was saved brilliantly by Dey with Liam Cheyne making a lunging block to keep out the rebound. Dingwall then missed the target following a good move as Locos enjoyed a dominant spell. The visitors came close to taking the lead on the hour mark though, but Kyle Gordon couldn’t make enough contact on a low ball across the box from Clark.

Locos continued to threaten and got themselves back in front with a little under 20 minutes remaining. Sam Burnett released fellow substitute Jay Halliday down the left and he did superbly to get the byline and cut back for Sam Robertson to finish coolly from twelve yards.

Turriff tried to get back into the game but Locos protected Reid well before Meres, who had been tormenting the visiting defence all afternoon and had forced a good save from Dey shortly before, latched onto a clever Smith pass before firing beyond Dey to seal the points with four minutes to go.

This was a good win against a team who have had some excellent results lately. It had to be earned but Locos will feel they just about did that with their performance after the break.

Locos: A Reid, T Reid, Mitchell, Dingwall, Buchan (Michie), Ward (Halliday), S Robertson, J Smith, Wilson, Meres, L Robertson (Burnett) Unused Subs: Petermann, B Smith, Gill, Farquhar

Turriff United: Dey, Kinsella, Cheyne, Stuart, Foster, Strachan, McKenzie (Cooper), Smith (Gray), Gordon (Alberts), E Clark, McKeown Unused Subs: Cormack, R Clark, Linton