loader image

Fraserburgh 1 – 2 Locos

Breedon Highland League

Jay Halliday scored a late goal to maintain Locos 100% record away from home in the Highland League and take the points against the 10 men of Fraserburgh. Halliday pounced after a Fergus Alberts shot had bounced down off the crossbar, sending the away fans home happy. That winner came in stoppage time, just five minutes after Mark Souter had got Locos back on level terms following a Scott Barbour opener.

After the cup tie between these two teams last month, another tight game was expected and that’s exactly what was served up. Locos started the game well, Logan Johnstone and Lloyd Robertson both firing wide before a Fergus Alberts effort was blocked on the line by the hand of Bryan Hay, with keeper Joe Barbour beaten. Hay was dismissed but Barbour did well to save Robert Ward’s penalty. Locos continued to press with Robertson again off target before Barbour beat away a Thomas Reid effort and Fergus Alberts flicked a header narrowly wide. The hosts weren’t spent as an attacking force though, and Andy Reid had to get down well to keep out a Scott Barbour effort.

With the game scoreless at half time, fans of both teams were wondering if Locos were going to rue missing the opportunities that had come their way. With an hour on the clock it looked like that could be the case as the Broch took the lead with their first real attack of the second half. Connor Wood broke down the right before squaring to Scott Barbour for a simple finish.

With the extra man, the Railwaymen continued to have the best of the game but were unable to carve out much in the way of clear chances as Fraserburgh defended their lead well. The equalizer cam though as Souter jumped highest at the near post to glance Johnstone’s throw into the far corner. With the game into added time, Locos secured the win when a Calum Dingwall corner wasn’t dealt with by the hosts. Alberts shot struck the crossbar but the ball found its way to Halliday who lashed home, sparking wild celebrations among the travelling support.

There was still time for Fraserburgh to threaten and they had the ball in the net only to find that the whistle had already blown for a foul. This was a deserved and hard fought victory for Locos. The early red card certainly helped but they will take a lot of confidence from this performance into the game against Lossiemouth next week.